Rune crafting with examples

• Since a lot of people are confused with runecrafing and every day I see the same questions and same mistakes I decided to make this guide. I'm aware that there are other guides out there but I wanted to focus on critical parts, common mistakes and some tips and tricks. Beware that purpose of this guide is not to teach you what runes you should be using. That is what you need to figure on your own or use someone else's guide. Purpose of it, is to have a full controll over the process so that at each step you know what you are going to end up with. So without further ado here is:

BASIC RUNE CRAFTING GUIDE WITH EXAMPLES

Runecrafting is a a process of extracting runes from gear and then fusing them into a new item. Game actually introduces this process at character level 15 but what you learn from it is fairly basic: it exists and go try it out.

Example 1: Basic runecrafting

• What you need is the following:

1. BASE ITEM - This is the Item that you want to put runes in. Can be any item but preferred items are purples or better (legendary) - droped and/or crafted.

2. MELTING STONES x 3. You need 3 melting stones to make 3 runes. Runes are bought at New Ku'Dan bazaar from MELTING STONE MERCHANT SYNIA. Each melting stone costs 3.000 gold.

3. FODDER ITEMS x 3. Last thing you need are fodder items from which you will extract runes to put into your base item. Again this can be any item but preferred items are dropped blue and purple.

• Next you need to know the RULES:

1. Each item must be merged with exactly 3 runestones.

2. Each item can have a MAXIMUM of 6 runes. If you try to put more, process will take only the 6 LOWEST (lightest) runes (for example if my 3 runestones and my base item have 2 runes lvl40, 3 runes lvl42, 2 runes lvl45 and 1 rune lvl60 that is 2+3+2+1=8 total runes. Game takes 6 lowest so i will lose 1xlvl60 and 1xlvl45).

3. Each item can have ONLY 1 RUNE with unique name. If you use the same named rune more than once in your 3 runestones, process will OVERLAP the runes with same name taking only the LOWEST (lightest) rune. This means you can't make item that has BASIC CRIT1 + CRIT57 + CRIT58 + CRIT59 + CRIT60 + CRIT63. If you try this, you will end up with an item that has BASIC CRIT1 + CRIT57. All other runes will be consumed and thrown away.

• Now, lets take a look at the actual process:

First thing is MELTING STONES. What you need to know about melting stones is that when you buy them they will have a random stat on them from a pool of 8 possible outcomes (Critical Hit Damage, Block Penetration, Hit Chance, Dodge, Healing Power, Healing Affinity, Block Power and HP). Each one (crit, dodge, etc) has exact value of 4.4 except HP which has a value of 11. This stat will be in a form of BASIC RUNE, which means it will not overlap with the rune that does same thing. For example you can have BASIC LIFE 1 and LIFE 60 rune in the same item.

Now this is the only important thing you need to know when it comes to melting stones: ALWAYS USE THE SAME 3 MELTING STONES. This is tied to RULE 2 and RULE 3. If you use 3 different melting stones CONGRATS. You end up with 3 CRAP BASIC runes and you have just wasted 40% of item's full potential.

It doesn't matter if you use 3 x basic healing affinity or 3 x basic HP. It's a filler rune that has to be used until you get PERFECT melting stones. For this runecrafting I will use Healing Power. Why? Cause who cares... If I die more cause I didn't put in +11HP rune then I have other problems...

Second thing is my BASE ITEM:

Outlined in red are RUNES already on the item. So there is 2: Psychic Powers and Critical Hit are their respective UNIQUE names (important for RULE no.3) and both are of LVL56 (important for RULE no.2).

Third part is FODDER ITEM selection:

So far we decided on a melting stone. That is always 1st rune in you end item. Next, my base item has 2 runes already in it. That is a total of 3 so far. So I need to find 3 more items that I would like to extract runes from. Let's say I want this one to be used:

So I want to put in FEARLESSNESS lvl56 and INSPIRATION lvl56. With my melting stone and my BASE item that is a total of 5 RUNES. According to RULE 2 I can put only 1 more rune. Browsing thru my storage i find these:

Why these? Because each of them has atleast 1 rune that I am already using. 2 purple items have FEARLESSNESS lvl56 and 2 blue items have INSPIRATION lvl56. This means that if I pick any single one of them I will basically be adding ONLY 1 new unique rune to my pool of added runes. So my melting stone is always rune no.1, my base item gives runes no.2 and no.3, my first fodder gives me runes no.4 and no.5 and my second fodder will give me rune no.6.

Done? Not really... According to RULE no.1 I need 3 runestones. So what is my third fodder? At this point I have several options:

1. I could try to find a fodder that has 2 unique runes I already prepared. Although possible, not likely.

2. I could try to find a fodder with one unique rune I already used and one unique that is of HIGHER value so its pushed out of the end item. (more on this in next post)

3. I could use a BLANK item. WUT? Now what sorcery is this? What are blank items? Well if you crafted ANY gear you will note that they come out runeless. That means that I can use something like this:

See the 'No Rune Ability'? That's what I'am looking for! This baby creates runestone that has ONLY basic rune from the melting stones I'm using.

So we make the runestones:

And all that is left is to merge them with the BASE ITEM! Here is the final product:

As you can see Critical Hit and Psychic Powers from base item are still here, Basic therapy we overlaped 3 times, Inspiration we overlaped 2 times and Dodge and Fearlessness are our final 2 runes for a total of 6 runes in a CONTROLLED process.

Change log:

2019-03-17 first version. still needs some pictures.

2019-03-22 second version. added missing pictures. added second examples with pushing away unwanted runes. added some colors.

Edited 21 times, last by govmust ().

• Guide part 2 - Continuation from previous post.

I mentioned earlier that there is an option to try to push out the runes you don't want. How does this work? I also stated that each unique rune name has a weight. Game has an inbuilt system which is there to decide which rune to put in first and which one to put in last. Now lets take a look at unique runes I'm trying to put in:

- BASE ITEM:

1. Psychic Powers has a weight of 29
    2. Critical Hit has a weight of 3

- PREFERRED RUNE:

3. Fearlessness has a weight of 38

4. Inspiration has a weight of 39

- POSSIBILITIES:

5. Hit has a weight of 7

6. Guardian has a weight of 26

7. Hubris has a weight of 25

8. Dodge has a weight of 8

Now, lets imagine a situation where I can manage to use all 8 runes into my base item.

What would actually happen?

According to Rule no. 2 game will throw away 3 runes (you forgot the one from melting stone, didn't you? :)). We take the 5 runes with lowest weights and throw away the rest.

We end up with:

rune 1: one from melting stone

rune 2: (3) Critical Hit

rune 3: (7) Hit

rune 4: (8) Dodge

rune 5: (25) Hubris

rune 6: (26) Guardian

We lost:

(29) Psychic Powers

(38) Fearlessness

(39) Inspiration

And where am I getting this numbers from ?! Well I didn't do them myself. I found out this old guide on it. From several tries i did it seems to still work the same. Only difference is that GF changed the names of runes in the last patch so its a bit harder to find correct names. What you can also notice is that if you look at the order of runes in the final item, it matches the weight list I used.

Example 2: How to push away rune(s) you don't want from your item?

In this example I will start with this BASE item:

Now, since I'm dark knight who focuses mostly on dark and some toxic damage this LIGHTNING56 rune is not to my taste. It brings literally nothing to my character so I'm wandering if I can somehow push it away from the item? In general there are 2 ways to do it:

1. One is to use lvl55 runes. This comes from combining rules 2 and 3. If I insert 6 new runes which are lower than lvl56 they will most certainly push away the LIGHTNING56 . Downside to this is that I will be putting lower runes than I could therefore my item will not have its full potential.

2. Second is to use weighting system to remove unwanted LIGHTNING56. Let's see how it is done:

Next, I need to select some FODDER items:

As you can see I have picked following runes for mix (Total of 8 unique named runes):

MELTING STONE:

1. Basic penetration 1

BASE:

2. Lightning 56 [ has a weight of 52 ]

3. Inspiration 56 [ has a weight of 39 ]

FODDER 1:

3. Inspiration 56 [ has a weight of 39 ]

4. Hubris 56 [ has a weight of 25 - old name OVERBEARING]

FODDER 2:

5. Wall 56 [ has a weight of 11 - old name HARDFLOOR ]

6. Sanction 56 [ has a weight of 48 ]

FODDER 3:

7. Block 56 [ has a weight of 4 - old name PARRY ]

8. Health 56 [ has a weight of 2 - old name LIFE ]

So let's see what should happen:

1. rune should be - Basic penetration 1(this is always the same since I will use same melting stone for all 3 items)

2. rune should be - lowest weight rune 2 - HEALTH56

3. rune should be - next lowest weight rune 4 - BLOCK56

4. rune should be - next lowest weight rune 11 - WALL56

5. rune should be - next lowest weight rune 25 - HUBRIS56

6. rune should be - next lowest weight rune 39 - INSPIRATION56

Runes 7 and 8 are Sanction56 and Lightning56 but they are too heavy to pass the cut! (with weights 48 and 52 they cant pass the lowest 6 runes rule).

Let's check end result:

As you can see, order of runes matches exactly what I have expected to happen. Another confirmation to the weighting system!

Edited 10 times, last by govmust ().

• Wow i learned something new... about the "No Rune" item that makes a runestone only with the Basis... never seen that on ANY Dark blue or Purple item... ever ! ... and light blue i usually break without looking through them... I usually keep items with dual "Stun" runes and just use them instead of the "no rune" item... they have lowest priority so they get excluded anyway... OR just use higher level rune as a third.. that works too... anyway on higher levels you will want the "No basis Melting stone" ... so i am not sure what the runestone with "no basis" melting stone and no rune item will look like... if it is even possible to create such "blank" runestone... anyway "King" and "Dust" from Throne of kings and Oroyn Temple 2star... stack with regular runes, same as "Calamitous" from Chaos temple... so you can make some really sweet stuff there... the bad thing is no Resistance/Penetration runes in there just the runes from the list 1-37 weight in the guide form Toshi that u linked.

Higher priority ----> Lower priority

58 rune: Regular ones ----> Calamitous ones ---> 60 rune Regular ones ---> 60 King ones ---> 63 lvl Dust ones

• Twizted Just do 10 waves of coop vs hord and get 6 masterwork runes and you have blank runes. Just llok for someone Who can push you through, get the runes, transfer them on your main char. Delete pvp dummy char, make a new one, get carried through, send runes over, delete and so on and so forth.

• yeah i got my main ones.... already thought of that to be honest, cause first thing i tried was to see if they are storage-able :) .. thing is.. not many people that can do 10 waves.... they don't even need to carry me i have one more 60 and another one i am leveling now... i can switch equipment easy.. so i wont be carried... thing is most of the times i carry people :D ... but yeah 5-6 char achievements are more than enough to craft the whole set of gear without the bullshit Basis dissolving stones...

• I simply hope GF takes a stand here and leave it like it is or make them untradeable even with stashes. Afaik GF they will put those runes in the shop anyway and the game will be dead for me the second they do and on top of it I'm sure GF will make them bound so you can't transfer them through your chests.... well maybe wonders happen ^^.

• well considering there are 6 runes in item... 1 basis per item is 20% loss... so making it cash shop only is just a 20% advantage for people who cash... so yeah uninstalling will become a must :) ...right now i am just looking for a reason to uninstall the game anyway with all that support and pseudo patches and bugs... that would be cherry...

• well considering there are 6 runes in item... 1 basis per item is 20% loss... so making it cash shop only is just a 20% advantage for people who cash... so yeah uninstalling will become a must :) ...right now i am just looking for a reason to uninstall the game anyway with all that support and pseudo patches and bugs... that would be cherry...

You totaly forgett the clear items from the shop :D. You can make items blank with some stuff that was in the shop so you'll always get 6 slots if you pay for it ^^. And if those masterwork runes work like in the past you can stack them in braindead mode like 6 times crit without thinking or different rune times and so on. 6x max stat that stacks freely seems a bit odd :p.

You totaly forgett the clear items from the shop :D. You can make items blank with some stuff that was in the shop so you'll always get 6 slots if you pay for it ^^. And if those masterwork runes work like in the past you can stack them in braindead mode like 6 times crit without thinking or different rune times and so on. 6x max stat that stacks freely seems a bit odd :p.

Well that would almost be financially worth it

However theres 3 dungeons on end game

No events

No perma farm spots

No leaderboards

Kinda sux

• To be honest... I don't know for sure. 3 endgame dungeons are theoreticly more then most other hack and slays had to offer in the past. So it's not that terrible ifthey are able to offer more content soon.

Well back to topic I think we drift away from the topic of the thread by a bit :).