Since a lot of people are confused with runecrafing and every day I see the same questions and same mistakes I decided to make this guide. I'm aware that there are other guides out there but I wanted to focus on critical parts, common mistakes and some tips and tricks. Beware that purpose of this guide is not to teach you what runes you should be using. That is what you need to figure on your own or use someone else's guide. Purpose of it, is to have a full controll over the process so that at each step you know what you are going to end up with. So without further ado here is:
BASIC RUNE CRAFTING GUIDE WITH EXAMPLES
Runecrafting is a a process of extracting runes from gear and then fusing them into a new item. Game actually introduces this process at character level 15 but what you learn from it is fairly basic: it exists and go try it out.
Example 1: Basic runecrafting
- What you need is the following:
1. BASE ITEM - This is the Item that you want to put runes in. Can be any item but preferred items are purples or better (legendary) - droped and/or crafted.
2. MELTING STONES x 3. You need 3 melting stones to make 3 runes. Runes are bought at New Ku'Dan bazaar from MELTING STONE MERCHANT SYNIA. Each melting stone costs 3.000 gold.
3. FODDER ITEMS x 3. Last thing you need are fodder items from which you will extract runes to put into your base item. Again this can be any item but preferred items are dropped blue and purple.
- Next you need to know the RULES:
1. Each item must be merged with exactly 3 runestones.
2. Each item can have a MAXIMUM of 6 runes. If you try to put more, process will take only the 6 LOWEST (lightest) runes (for example if my 3 runestones and my base item have 2 runes lvl40, 3 runes lvl42, 2 runes lvl45 and 1 rune lvl60 that is 2+3+2+1=8 total runes. Game takes 6 lowest so i will lose 1xlvl60 and 1xlvl45).
3. Each item can have ONLY 1 RUNE with unique name. If you use the same named rune more than once in your 3 runestones, process will OVERLAP the runes with same name taking only the LOWEST (lightest) rune. This means you can't make item that has BASIC CRIT1 + CRIT57 + CRIT58 + CRIT59 + CRIT60 + CRIT63. If you try this, you will end up with an item that has BASIC CRIT1 + CRIT57. All other runes will be consumed and thrown away.
- Now, lets take a look at the actual process:
First thing is MELTING STONES. What you need to know about melting stones is that when you buy them they will have a random stat on them from a pool of 8 possible outcomes (Critical Hit Damage, Block Penetration, Hit Chance, Dodge, Healing Power, Healing Affinity, Block Power and HP). Each one (crit, dodge, etc) has exact value of 4.4 except HP which has a value of 11. This stat will be in a form of BASIC RUNE, which means it will not overlap with the rune that does same thing. For example you can have BASIC LIFE 1 and LIFE 60 rune in the same item.
Now this is the only important thing you need to know when it comes to melting stones: ALWAYS USE THE SAME 3 MELTING STONES. This is tied to RULE 2 and RULE 3. If you use 3 different melting stones CONGRATS. You end up with 3 CRAP BASIC runes and you have just wasted 40% of item's full potential.
It doesn't matter if you use 3 x basic healing affinity or 3 x basic HP. It's a filler rune that has to be used until you get PERFECT melting stones. For this runecrafting I will use Healing Power. Why? Cause who cares... If I die more cause I didn't put in +11HP rune then I have other problems...
Second thing is my BASE ITEM:
Outlined in red are RUNES already on the item. So there is 2: Psychic Powers and Critical Hit are their respective UNIQUE names (important for RULE no.3) and both are of LVL56 (important for RULE no.2).
Third part is FODDER ITEM selection:
So far we decided on a melting stone. That is always 1st rune in you end item. Next, my base item has 2 runes already in it. That is a total of 3 so far. So I need to find 3 more items that I would like to extract runes from. Let's say I want this one to be used:
So I want to put in FEARLESSNESS lvl56 and INSPIRATION lvl56. With my melting stone and my BASE item that is a total of 5 RUNES. According to RULE 2 I can put only 1 more rune. Browsing thru my storage i find these:
Why these? Because each of them has atleast 1 rune that I am already using. 2 purple items have FEARLESSNESS lvl56 and 2 blue items have INSPIRATION lvl56. This means that if I pick any single one of them I will basically be adding ONLY 1 new unique rune to my pool of added runes. So my melting stone is always rune no.1, my base item gives runes no.2 and no.3, my first fodder gives me runes no.4 and no.5 and my second fodder will give me rune no.6.
Done? Not really... According to RULE no.1 I need 3 runestones. So what is my third fodder? At this point I have several options:
1. I could try to find a fodder that has 2 unique runes I already prepared. Although possible, not likely.
2. I could try to find a fodder with one unique rune I already used and one unique that is of HIGHER value so its pushed out of the end item. (more on this in next post)
3. I could use a BLANK item. WUT? Now what sorcery is this? What are blank items? Well if you crafted ANY gear you will note that they come out runeless. That means that I can use something like this:
See the 'No Rune Ability'? That's what I'am looking for! This baby creates runestone that has ONLY basic rune from the melting stones I'm using.
So we make the runestones:
And all that is left is to merge them with the BASE ITEM! Here is the final product:
As you can see Critical Hit and Psychic Powers from base item are still here, Basic therapy we overlaped 3 times, Inspiration we overlaped 2 times and Dodge and Fearlessness are our final 2 runes for a total of 6 runes in a CONTROLLED process.
2019-03-17 first version. still needs some pictures.
2019-03-22 second version. added missing pictures. added second examples with pushing away unwanted runes. added some colors.